Monday, June 3, 2013

Wildcrafting Day

This afternoon Mandy,  her children and I set out to collect a few of our favorite herbs from the countryside of beautiful Hills, Iowa. It was a lovely day with a little adventure, complete with perfect weather. 

First off was a stop to pick Wild Prarie Roses. We wildcrafted the flowers, buds and whole plants for use in everything from sprays to tinctures to elixirs and syrups. Some say the Wild Rose is an invasive plant but I think it's courageous and full of perseverance.



Mandy spotted some Solomon's Seal but it's not quite the season for harvest yet.


 Later I went off to wildcraft on my own and collected Horse Tail for teas and tinctures.


While adventuring I saw snakes, birds, butterflies and this little guy:


Christy was kind enough to let me pick a bag full of Shiitake Mushrooms for culinary use in my kitchen. CSA members will also have the healing properties of Shiitake's to look forward to as we've got these guys in everything from oils to tinctures.


Last but not least I finished my adventure off by stripping open a Jewel Weed Plant with my fingers and spread it all over my arms in case I got into any Poison Ivy.  Jewel Weed often grows near that itchy, scratchy weed and is the perfect remedy if you break out with poison Ivy. It's simple to use with a consistency like Aloe Vera.


All and all it was a perfect late spring day and I can't wait to go out wildcrafting again. Of all the steps in making herbal medicine I'd have to say harvesting is my favorite. Though I love the magic in cooking and bottling, I feel at home out in the woods and alongside dirt roads, creeks and ditches looking and searching for that one perfect plant. They say the plants that you need present themselves to you and today they sure did!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting the picture of Jewel weed!! I had heard this plant was good for treating things like nettle sting, although I don't mind that so much. Poison Ivy on the other hand, no thanks!! I didn't know it was also good for Ivy. Also I have never been able to accurately identify this ally in my wanderings, so the picture is a great help! Love, Love what you are all doing here!!!

    ReplyDelete